If you have invested in a fine piece of meat like a Prime rib eye, or New York strip, and you want to make sure that your steak is melt in your mouth perfect, then just follow these steps to create the perfect grilled steak on your gas grill:
- Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper (fresh ground pepper is ideal).
- Turn one side of your grill on high and allow grill to come to temperature (about 400-450 degrees).
- Place steaks on grill perpendicular to grate and close cover. Wait for 2 minutes if steak is less than 1 inch thick, and 3 minutes for over 1 inch to 1 Â½ inch steaks.
- Open grill and flip steaks. Close cover and wait 2-3 minutes.
- Open cover and move steaks to the opposite side of the grill. The remainder of the cooking time will be using indirect heat.
- Check steaks with temperature probe or thermometer for doneness. Time will vary depending on the thickness of the steak. For a rare steak, pull off the grill at about 145 degrees, medium about 155 degrees, and well done 170 degrees. Steak will rise in temperature 5-10 degrees as it rests.
- Let meat rest for about 5 minutes and serve.